2/15/17 – LATEST UPDATE: All systems GO – the races are ON!!

February 15, 2017

UPSDA Race Updates – February 15, 2017

The countdown is on! As of today the trails for all three races are in very good condition. We’ve had colder temperatures and light snow yesterday and today. Trails are packed, groomed and marked.

We are watching the weather: forecasts for the weekend call for temperatures warmer than usual for February. Mushers train in all sorts of weather and are experienced at managing their dog teams during varying weather and trail conditions.

Our excellent team of veterinarians, race officials, and trail experts will be monitoring dog teams, weather and trail conditions. UPSDA has contingency plans for all three races, including making trail modifications if necessary. Our race judges, veterinarians, and trail crew collaborate closely to make sound decisions based on conditions and what is best for the dogs.

Warmer temperatures will be absolutely amazing for volunteers and spectators, especially since they have faced extreme cold and blizzard conditions the last two years. We are happy for that but do encourage everyone to stay tuned throughout the weekend for updates. Volunteers should check the website and social media for updates. We will attempt to contact each volunteer if changes are made which affect your assigned time or location.

The races are scheduled to start at their usual times in their usual locations. While we are prepared to make adjustments, we hope that Mother Nature cooperates and we can race as planned! Please check our website and social media for updates. See you at the races!